Toms River Car Accident Lawyers
Named one of America’s top 20 safest cities, Toms River, New Jersey is a coastal region along the heart of the famed Jersey Shore. Toms River is a bedroom community in the New York metropolitan area. The picturesque community is popular with tourists and entertainment producers, serving as the backdrop of many movies and television series.
A car accident can overturn your life, especially if you suffer injuries. When you suffer injuries in an accident caused by someone else, you need an experienced law firm to hold the driver accountable. For over 30 years, our Toms River car accident lawyers at Kitrick, McWeeney & Wells, LLC have sought justice for our clients, recovering hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation.
What Types of Car Accident Cases Does Kitrick, McWeeney & Wells, LLC Handle?
Due to the abundance of large urban areas, New Jersey has some of the most congested traffic in the country, resulting in many accidents every year. Our Toms River car accident lawyers handle numerous types of accident cases, such as:
- Head-on collisions: Accidents involving two cars crashing into one another hood to hood.
- Low-speed collisions: Crashes typically during slow-moving stop-and-go traffic.
- Rear-end collisions: One car crashes into the back of another.
- Side-impact, or T-bone, collisions: These crashes often occur when one car hits another’s side at an intersection.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in Toms River?
Nearly all car accidents are caused by driver error, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The most common causes of car accidents include:
- Aggressive driving: Speeding, tailgating, darting in and out of lanes, ignoring traffic laws, and intentionally cutting off others are all identified as aggressive or reckless driving actions.
- Distracted driving: Texting, talking on the phone, playing with pets, eating, watching videos, and many other activities cause distracted driving accidents.
- Drowsy driving: Driving while drowsy is just as dangerous as drunk driving, particularly for those who work the night shift.
- Drunk or impaired driving: Driving while intoxicated is one of the most dangerous actions.
- Speeding: Excessive speeding reduces stopping distance and the ability to stop quickly in an emergency situation.
- Tailgating: Driving too closely, known as tailgating, is almost exclusively the cause of rear-end collisions.
- Weather: Poor weather reduces visibility and causes slippery road conditions.
What Are Common Car Accident Injuries?
Each year, millions of people suffer injuries in car accidents, many of which are permanent and life-altering. The most common injuries resulting from car accidents include:
- Back, neck, and spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones, fractures, bruising, burns, and lacerations
- Crushed or severed limbs
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Internal organ damage
- Nerve damage
- PTSD and other psychological trauma
- Traumatic brain injuries
How Can Kitrick, McWeeney & Wells, LLC Help Me?
Even minor accidents and injuries can have serious consequences. Car accidents also frequently result in costly medical bills, income loss, and even lifelong disabling conditions.
When you are injured, you do not need to add the worry of pursuing your claim while trying to recover. When you hire our experienced Toms River car accident lawyers, we can investigate the scene, work with experts, negotiate with the insurance company, and represent you in court if your case goes to trial.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Toms River?
You should take the following steps after an accident:
- Report the accident and injuries.
- Be cautious when talking to others, as what you say can be used against you later.
- Photograph the scene. Be sure to include vehicle damage, injuries, and anything else that contributed to the accident.
- Gather contact information and statements from witnesses.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, as some injuries do not present symptoms immediately.
- Maintain all records, expenses, and correspondence related to the accident and your injuries.
- Consult an experienced car accident lawyer.
Compensation for Car Accident Injuries
Compensation for personal injury claims varies, depending on the extent and seriousness of injuries. Compensation has no established value in New Jersey. It is determined through a combination of economic and non-economic damages.
New Jersey is a “no-fault” state and requires drivers to carry personal protection insurance (PIP), and each driver is required first to use their own insurance, regardless of who is at fault for the accident.
However, if another driver’s negligence severely injures you and your own PIP does not cover all of your expenses, you may be entitled to compensation. Compensation may cover:
- Disability or disfigurement
- Lost current and future wages
- Medical expenses
- Ongoing medical treatment related to the accident
- Pain and suffering
Remember that New Jersey is also a comparative negligence state, which affects the amount of compensation you can recover. Under comparative negligence, both drivers are assigned a percentage of fault. Your percentage of fault will be deducted from the overall compensation awarded.
Is There a Deadline to File a Personal Injury Claim?
In New Jersey, you have two years from the date of the accident or death to file a personal injury claim.
Toms River Car Accident Lawyers at Kitrick, McWeeney & Wells, LLC Help Clients Injured by Negligent Drivers
Suffering an injury due to someone else’s negligence can have devastating consequences. If you have been injured in a car accident, our Toms River car accident lawyers at Kitrick, McWeeney & Wells, LLC can help you seek the compensation you deserve. Call 732-920-8383 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Manasquan and Brick, New Jersey, we serve clients in Middlesex County, Atlantic County, Mercer County, Monmouth County, and Ocean County.